OnePlus is a company created from enthusiasts focused on creating a phone for enthusiasts. Each year they have produced something different. While each year has had varying levels of success and teething issues they seem to have gotten everything together this year for the OnePlus 5 release — and now it is coming to Australia.
After Carl Pei announced three weeks ago that they were bringing the OnePlus 5 to Australia with little further details. Today OnePlus have announced that, beginning with a soft launch only, OnePlus will be opening up sales of the OnePlus 5 through their website at 10am AEST on Tuesday, August 29.
What is a soft launch?
The soft launch consists of:
- A limited-stock open sales event on oneplus.net/au starting August 29. Customers will only be allowed to buy one phone per order.
- Two fan meetups in Melbourne and Sydney in September to talk about how the open sales event went and hear your suggestions on how they can improve. Dates for these will be announced shortly but if you are interested head over to the page they have setup and sign up for them.
The phones which will be offered for sale here in Australia will include the OnePlus 5 with 6GB RAM/64GB storage variant in Slate Gray and Soft Gold colours for A$599 and the 8GB RAM/128GB storage variant in Midnight Black and Slate Grey colours for A$699.
People interested in procuring one of these phones from the soft launch will note that these prices are for the soft launch only and future sales pricing may differ. Additionally, there is a free OnePlus 5 Sandstone Protective Case included with every phone purchase. But if you’re hemming and hawing over the sale, remember there is only a limited amount of stock allocated for Australia, so get in while stocks last.
We’re opening up a limited trial run for sales while supplies last, to test our product and supply chain.
|Key Specifications:||OnePlus 5|
|Screen technology||Optic AMOLED|
|Resolution||1,920 x 1,080|
|Rear camera||Dual 16MP + 20MP Telephoto|
|Android OS||Android 7.1|
|Dimensions||152.7 x 74.7 x 7.25 mm|
- The OnePlus 5 will work on all carriers in Australia with the bands supported being:
GSM: Band 8
UMTS: Bands 1/8
LTE: Bands 1/3/7/28/40
GSM: Band 3/8
UMTS: Bands 1/8
LTE: Bands 1/3/7/28
GSM: Band 3/8
UMTS: Bands 1/5/8
LTE: Bands 3/5
- Accessories will be able to be purchased during the soft launch but not all accessories and only if you purchase a phone at the same time. Those available are:
- OnePlus Bullets (V2) — $14.95AUD
- OnePlus 5 Karbon Bumper Case — $24.95AUD
- Dash Car Charger — $24.95AUD
- The soft launch OnePlus 5 comes with their standard two year warranty
- The soft launch OnePlus 5 comes with a UK Type G plug charger and both the OnePlus cable and AC adapter are required to get the full benefit of Dash Charging
- OnePlus are only selling the phone to mainland Australia which somehow included Tasmania. Unfortunately our most eastern state, New Zealand, misses out at this stage.
Finally, some thoughts on OnePlus arriving on our shores. Do not be fooled by the price of the OnePlus 5. It may be priced as a mid-range device but the hardware is most definitely in the high end of the market. The software is effectively a custom ROM based very closely on AOSP. If you are interested in this phone point your favourite browser to OnePlus at 10am AEST next Tuesday and get ready to buy what is apparently a great phone at a very decent price. I will have one in my hands very soon so stay tuned for my impressions.