For years many of us have wanted OnePlus to sell their phones directly to us. This year we heard whispers that they were certainly looking at Australia as a possible market to break into. Recently they told us that they would be entering our market with a tentative launch. That soft launch starts now.
By now anyone who is a phone enthusiast knows about OnePlus and the phones they produce. Their aim is to produce a phone that gives the best user experience to phone enthusiasts. This year’s OnePlus 5 could well be their best ever phone based not only on our reviews but others’ as well. Our review on it went live at the same time as this post and you can check it out here if you are interested in our thoughts. The TL;dr version is: buy it now, it’s awesome value.
For detailed information on the soft launch and what you can and cannot buy you can check out our announcement post from last week. Prices listed below are soft launch prices only and are not indicative of future prices.
- The phones which will be offered for sale here in Australia are the OnePlus 5 with 6GB RAM/64GB storage variant in Slate Gray and Soft Gold colours for A$599 and the 8GB RAM/128GB storage variant in Midnight Black and Slate Grey colours for A$699.
- Every purchase of a phone receives a free Sandstone Protective Case
- Accessories that can be purchased can only be purchased if you buy a phone at the same time
- Stock is limited
- The soft launch OnePlus 5 comes with their standard two year warranty. There is also the option to return the phone for an approved reason within fifteen calendar days of delivery for a full refund. Repairs/replacements will take 12-13 days during this period.
- The soft launch OnePlus 5 comes with a UK Type G plug charger
- OnePlus are only selling the phone to mainland Australia which includes Tasmania. New Zealand misses out at this stage
|Key Specifications:||OnePlus 5|
|Screen technology||Optic AMOLED|
|Rear camera||Dual 16MP + 20MP Telephoto|
|Chipset||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Android OS||Android 7.1|
|Dimensions||152.7 x 74.7 x 7.25 mm|
The phone is a beast and is well worth the money with the pricing being incredibly competitive. Time will tell on how OnePlus fare with their delivery, warranty, service and updates but if you are someone who doesn’t mind taking a small risk when buying a phone then this may well be the one for you. Head on over to the OnePlus website and buy one now before the limited stocks run out. If you are still on the fence check out the Ausdroid review and then see if you can resist.
Anyone taking advantage of this soft launch? Did you buy any accessories? Are you waiting until they release an AU plug version?