While smartphone cameras have come a long way, one thing they can’t match is the smooth video and neat tricks you can perform with a gimbal-stabilised camera. We’ve had these before, of course, in the form of DJI’s Osmo line of cameras, but when I last tried their Osmo Mobile platform, it cost a fortune and – frankly – the quality was kind of low. It didn’t take long for it to lapse into early-life failure, and for a device costing $400 or so back then, I was disappointed.
Well, for just $127 or so, you can grab a Zhiyun Smooth Q 3-axis stabiliser through Zapals at the moment. Yes, it’s not a well-known brand like DJI, but the price is ultra competitive, and the brand is kind of known for its stabiliser tech, not just for mobiles but for up to DSLR cameras too.
Here’s some examples they’ve put together of what you can do with a smartphone gimbal like this:
Here’s a list of some of the features, taken from the product page:
- Holds smartphones up to 220g without the need for counterweights – this is important.
- Up to 12-hours of battery life. It’ll go for longer than your smartphone can film.
- Includes a 2,000mAh battery that can power your phone while you video.
- Custom app which powers really useful features like motion time-lapse, face tracking and more.
- Manual mode which lets you move the camera using a simple joystick control on the handle.
- Standard 1/4″-20 mounting thread, so you can stick it on a tripod for wonderful time-lapse videography.
Why are we sharing this? Frankly, it’s cool enough that a few of us are going to buy them, so we figured some of you might like this too. The sale lasts for just over 3 days, so you’ll need to get on board by Monday 5.00pm or you’ll miss out.
You can order direct from Zapals here and install the app below on your compatible Android.