Just because they’re called Pixel Buds doesn’t mean they only work with a Google Pixel phone. Google’s Pixel Buds are coming to Australia in a couple of weeks, and though you gain access to an exclusive feature by pairing them with a Pixel handset, Pixel Buds work with just about any reasonably recent smartphone.
To get Google Assistant, your phone must run Android 6 Marshmallow or above, and for everyday audio, only Android 5 Lollipop or iOS 10 or above is needed. Here’s how to pair Pixel Buds with just about anything:
- Open Bluetooth settings on your smartphone or tablet
- Open the lid of the Pixel Buds, leaving the earbuds in the case
- There’s a button on the bottom of the case, just above the right earbud
- Press and hold the button for three to five seconds until the LED light turns amber and starts flashing
- Search for a new device to pair on your smartphone or tablet, and look for the Pixel Buds
You should now be able to listen to audio through your Pixel Buds from any electronic device, and if your device is compatible, you can access Google Assistant as well.