It’s that time again, as the year closes out we get to start looking back over the year that was and Google has listed the best of what has come through the Play Store in all categories including Apps/Games, Movies/TV, Books and Music.
Google has different lists based on region, and the US is slightly different to what we here in Australia have been looking at, so what’s the best in each category?
The best overall app for 2017 is Socratic – Math Answers & Homework Help, a homework app that Google says ‘captivated us with its best-in-class artificial intelligence: Ask a question, and it’ll curate the info you need — like step-by step maths solutions — to answer it. We can’t wait to see our App of the Year get even smarter’.
The big one for us is the top 5 apps (last updated November 30), in the Most Popular section which lists 2017’s most downloaded new apps
- Messenger Lite: Free Calls & Messages
- iHeartRadio – Free Music, Radio & Podcasts
- Face App
- Lego Life
There are other categories in the Best Apps section including:
- Most Entertaining – These apps aren’t for “killing time” — they’re for making the most of it. Find laughs, a creative outlet, and even escape in transit and during downtime.
- Best Social – From vibrant communities united by common interests, to platforms for seamless communication with friends and colleagues.
- Best Daily Helper – The tools that help us build healthy habits, and make everyday tasks more efficient and enjoyable.
- Most Innovative – Interactive new ways of budgeting time and money, helping others, and experiencing the world around us.
- Best Hidden Gem – They’re fresh to the scene and quietly building a fanbase — from newcomers on the brink of becoming huge, to cult apps and niche topics.
- Best for Kids – Delightful and enriching apps that will make Mum and Dad smile, too. Parents should review all titles for appropriateness.
The best overall game for 2017 is CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars a battle bot game which lets you build your own robot to battle in an arena. Google said of CATS ‘This game knocked it out of the park with its spellbinding gameplay, glossy graphics, and an impressively intuitive interface’.
The Top five most popular games of the year, basically 2017’s most downloaded new games include:
- Super Mario Run
- Bubble Witch 3 Saga
- Snake vs Block
- CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars
- Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire
As with the apps, there are other categories in Games which you can check out which may contain something interesting. The categories include:
- Most Social – Unique, entertaining ways of playing online with old friends — or even making new ones.
- Most Competitive – These challenging and highly competitive online games attract the world’s most determined, strategic players.
- Best Indie – These challenging and highly competitive online games attract the world’s most determined, strategic players.
- Most Innovative – These are the most surprising and artistic breakout hits from independent developers who just may become 2018’s household names.
- Best to Pickup and Play – Great for unwinding on high-stress days, these games keep things light with adorable themes and uncomplicated play.
- Best for Kids– Games that the kids will love (that won’t drive mum and dad crazy, either). Parents should review all titles for appropriateness.
To check out the lot head over to the Google Play Best of Games for 2017 focus.
The top selling movies this year represents a good mix of childrens and more adult content, but you’re not going to find many indie flicks here it’s all main stream movies here. The top 5 movies include:
Head over to the Top Movies collection on Google Play to check the rest out.
If you follow the TV ratings you can probably guess which shows took the honours for most popular TV series this year, Game of Thrones obviously is on top with The Walking Dead following closely. Having a future royal in your cast has obviously made Suits a little more well known as well. The top 5 selling TV Series on Google Play this year are:
To check out the rest of the best selling TV series this year you can check out the focus on Google play.
The Christmas break is a great time to relax with a good book and catch up on some of the best released this year. The top books include books from Scott Pape, better known as The Barefoot Investor as well as the hugely popular The Handmaid’s Tale – truth be told I’m surprised this wasn’t in the top 5 TV shows this year. Big Little Lies takes the dual crown appearing in the top 5 best books and best TV series this year though. But here they are, the top 5 books in Google Play this year:
- The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You’ll Ever Need
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Big Little Lies
- The Girl Before
To check out the other best selling books of the year head over to Google Play Books to check out the list.
If you’re looking for expert commentary on music you’ve come to the wrong place. If you want to check out the most streamed music of 2017 you need to head over to Google Play Music where they’ll link you to a playlist of the most streamed music this year. Artists on the list include Ed Sheeran, The Chainsmokers, Kendrick Lamar, Calvin Harris, Bliss’n’Eco and more.
Best of 2017
Remember these are all driven by the most popular, if you disagree we want to hear, what were your top Games, Apps, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Albums or Singles this year. Let us know in the comments and we’ll round them all up.