HTC are yet to announce let alone release their 2018 flagship and after their failures in previous years it is no surprise to see them trying a different tack and wait for everyone else’s hype to die down and them make a splash. The more we see of their 2018 flagship the more it seems that they could well cause some ripples with the U12+.
Overnight the upcoming HTC flagship, the U12+, showed up in several forms in several places. The various images show us several things about the upcoming phone:
- The Liquid Surface coating on the U12+ is once again a visually stunning covering.
- There is NO notch. Let me repeat that, there is NO NOTCH!
- There are dual front-facing cameras.
- Fingerprint sensor and dual lens camera system located on the back of the device.
- There is a single bottom-firing speaker.
- There is no headphone jack, not a surprise anymore.
- Display will be a frameless Super WQHD 6 inch LCD display
- 4k video recording.
- 3500mAh battery with Quick Charge.
- Bluetooth 5.0.
- IP68 Splash and Dust proof.
- Android 8.0 with HTC Sense Companion
One big take out of this is the lack of a notch. Samsung are the only big manufacturer to make that call this year so far so it will be interesting to see how HTC go with their notchless display and minimal bezels.
There is also no digital assistant button visualised but at the same time it would not surprise us if there was Edge Sense with that functionality included.
Last year HTC released the U11 towards the end of May and we expect that to be the same this year. With only a few more weeks to wait it will be interesting to see what else surfaces in the meantime.
I for one am looking forward to checking out the next HTC flagship and hope that it can be the success that they are desperate for.