After announcing the phones back in March, Oppo have today finally gotten around to announcing local availability here in Australia for the Oppo R15 and R15 Pro.
With the camera focused R-Series, Oppo has again raised the bar with the R15 and R15 Pro including a 20MP selfie camera in both handsets, with ‘Sensor-HDR’ technology that apparently ”dramatically improves backlight Selfies’ as well as allowing real-time high dynamic exposure effects. The selfie camera is also used for face unlock, with Oppo saying it accurately collects 296 feature points of a human face.
Oppo has also included AI scene recognition in their camera software, which pairs in well with the updated dual rear sensors on the R15 and R15 Pro. There are slight differences with the setups, with the R15 sporting 16MP+5MP sensors, while the R15 Pro picks up 16MP+20MP sensors. The main 16MP sensor is the Sony IMX519 which has a 1.22μm single pixel size allowing for improved low-light performance.
Managing Director at OPPO, Michael Tran said of the cameras:
The R-Series continues to deliver fantastic camera capabilities at an affordable price. We know smartphones are now our customer’s camera of choice. As such, we continue to invest in our camera technologies to provide them with an exceptional photography experience, which will have them taking shots like a pro.
Both the Oppo R15 and R15 Pro sport a 6.28″ bezel-less Super Full Screen (2280×1090) resolution, 18:9 aspect ratio display which of course sports a notch. Internally Oppo is using a Mediatek Helios P20 for the R15 and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 for the R15 Pro. Both handsets come with 6GB RAM + 128GB of onboard storage with an option to install a MicroSD card up to 256GB inside.
One key difference we noted is that while the R15 doesn’t include NFC, the R15 Pro does list it as a spec, so if using Tap & Pay is important to you, you may want to keep that in mind.
The Oppo R15 will have a 3,450 mAh battery while the Oppo R15 Pro only gets a 3,400mAh battery, with both handsets supporting Oppo’s super fast VOOC charging.
The phones look great, with the phone being launched in Rouge Red for both the R15 and R15 Pro, while the R15 also gets Frost White and Nebula purple colour options.
Oppo will be releasing ColorOS 5.0 based on Android 8.1 for this release. There’s some new improvements in terms of visual look and feel, but the exact improvements to the core OS aren’t really out yet.
The Oppo R15 and R15 Pro will both be available either outright, or on a plan, with the Oppo R15 priced at $659, while the Oppo R15 Pro will be priced at $779. Oppo has also put together an interesting ‘Bali Bundle’ with the R15 Pro which includes a trip to Bali.
For those looking to purchase either phone outright, Oppo will open pre-orders for the phones with JB Hi-Fi on July 2nd, before both phones will go on-sale at The Good Guys, Officeworks, RetraVision, Woolworths Mobile on July 9th.
If you’re looking at a plan, Woolworths Mobile has picked up the exclusive on the Oppo R15, offering it on a $30 per month plan + $18.31 handset repayment over 36 months.
The Oppo R15 Pro will be available from all carriers – Optus, Vodafone, Telstra – as well as Woolworths Mobile, though Telstra customers will have to wait until August 14th to get their hands on the phone. Plans for each:
- Woolworths Mobile – Available 9th July
- R15 Pro available at RRP outright or on $30 per month plan + $21.63 handset repayment over 36 months ($51.63/mth)
- Optus – Available 9th July
- R15 Pro available on $45 per month plan + $10 handset repayment
- Vodafone – Available 9th July
- R15 Pro available on $40 Red Plan + $21.63 handset repayment over 36 months
- Telstra – 14th August
- R15 Pro available on $79 per month plan + $0 handset repayment
Oppo has put together a limited number of packages which includes their latest tech AND a luxury Bali escape, with the R15 Pro and a trip to Bali included in a bundle for $1,579. The bundle will be going up for pre-order from June 25th at www.balibundle.com.
The Bali Bundle includes a very exclusive holiday experience with some high-end luxury holiday inclusions. The full package includes :
- An OPPO R15 Pro – the phone that’s got everyone talking! With it’s the state of the art 20MP cameras and AI technology you can rest assured that all your social snaps in Bali will be on point!
- A flight voucher and three nights stay at the ‘OPPO Private Pool Villa’ inside The Leaf Jimbaran Bali Luxurious Villa & Spa Retreat. Inside guests can enjoy a complimentary 1hr massage and a fine dining experience.
- A day pass to Karma Kandara Beach Club. Discover what it truly means to be luxury at Karma Kandara on Bali’s Bukit Peninsula. Karma Kandara sits in a stunning lush greenery landscape offering cliff-side ocean views, fine dining and access to Bali’s most stunning private beach.
- A day pass to Mrs Sippy Bali. Home to the island’s largest saltwater pool and a haven for anyone in pursuit of a good time. Guests can wind down the day with awesome food, cocktails, good music and views. Mrs Sippy Bali is a must visit. Everyone knows
- A GOLDUST Facial or Massage. The most “instagrammable” facial meets the best camera phones on the market, with GOLDUST Beauty’s 24k gold facial or massage. Experience true pampering Bali style!
You can check out both the R15 and R15 Pro on the Oppo Australia website. We’ll be getting hands on with the Oppo R15 shortly, so stay tuned to see what we think.