Tuesday , October 23 2018 Ausdroid » Software » Apps, Games & Google Services » Data breach exposed Google+ user data which wasn’t disclosed – Google+ for consumers to be shutdown

Google is at the centre of controversy this morning over a report of a massive user data breach that occurred last year, with the result that they will be introducing finer grain controls to limit access to user data on the web and Android – and also shutdown Google+ for consumers.

A report from the Wall Street Journal quotes sources as well as memo reviewed by them which was prepared by Google’s ‘legal and policy staff’ stating that Google was the subject of a data breach which exposed Google+ user data including

full names, email addresses, birth dates, gender, profile photos, places lived, occupation and relationship status; it didn’t include phone numbers, email messages, timeline posts, direct messages or any other type of communication data.

According to the WSJ, Google chose not to divulge the data breach because ‘the incident would likely trigger “immediate regulatory interest” and invite comparisons to Facebook’s leak of user information to data firm Cambridge Analytica’.

In their blog post announcing the data breach, they advised that access to user data which occurred between some time in 2015 and March 2018 was through a loophole in an API, that meant that third-party apps had access to profile fields that were shared with the user but not marked as public, Google said.

Google advised that they discovered and patched the breach in March this year, at the same time assuring users that

We found no evidence that any developer was aware of this bug, or abusing the API, and we found no evidence that any Profile data was misused.

Even with the data patched, Google has advised they will be shutting down Google+ for consumers. The shut down will take place over a 10 month period, with the social network shutting down in August 2019. Google further said that the enterprise version of Google+ will continue.

As a part of the announcement of the breach, Google has decided to implement more fine-grained permissions for accessing user data from apps.

Google says that going forward, rather than bundling permissions together for a single approval, each and every permission requested by an app will be shown one at a time, within its own dialog box.

Google is also going to be limiting access to the apps seeking access to your SMS and Gmail data.

For Gmail apps requesting permission to user data Google will only grant access to apps which ‘directly enhancing email functionality—such as email clients, email backup services and productivity services (e.g., CRM and mail merge services)’.

Apps requesting user data in SMS ‘only an app that you’ve selected as your default app for making calls or text messages will be able to make these requests’. Google has also advised they will remove access to the contact interaction data from the Android Contacts API which allowed apps to show you your most recent contacts, within the next few months.

These actions are only the beginning, with Google advising they will roll out additional controls and update their policies across more APIs in the coming months.

Source: Google.
Via: Wall Street Journal (Soft Paywall).

Daniel Tyson   Ausdroid's Editor in Chief

Dan is a die-hard Android fan. Some might even call him a lunatic. He's been an Android user since Android was a thing, and if there's a phone that's run Android, chances are he owns it (his Nexus collection is second-to-none) or has used it.

Dan's dedication to Ausdroid is without question, and he has represented us at some of the biggest international events in our industry including Google I/O, Mobile World Congress, CES and IFA.

3
Join the Ausdroid Conversation

avatar
3 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
3 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
3 Comment authors
Dean Rosolenmichael matthewsJeni Skunk Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Dean Rosolen
Ausdroid Reader
Dean Rosolen

I’m not too worried about Google+ dying as a result. What I’m more concerned about is the fact that Google were silent on this breach for so long. #NotAGoodLook

Michael Matthews
Ausdroid Reader

Strongly agree with you. Google+ was definitely a sane alternative from all the shit posting that takes place on Facebook and twitter. I honestly found Google+ to have had a considerably less amount of spam, click bait, fake news and all sorts of crap that you would find on other platforms and made the experience tolerable. I really hope there’ll be an alternative platform in lieu of google plus. Made things a lot simpler.

Jeni Skunk
Ausdroid Reader

So where are G+ users supposed to move to?
People avoided joining FB or Twitter, because both were an active incendiary dumpster tyre fire in an open sewer.
G+ was a sane alternative.

Check Also

Asus Chromebook 523 adds a 15″ screen to the range

Asus has been a mainstay in Chromebooks for some time now, releasing a steady stream …