Warning: mysqli_query(): (HY000/1021): Disk full (/tmp/#sql_1be5_0.MAI); waiting for someone to free some space... (errno: 28 "No space left on device") in /var/www-hosted/wpnew/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 2007
Motorola has begun rolling out Android 8.1.0 Oreo to the Moto G5S Plus, Moto G5S, Moto G5 Plus and Moto G5, bringing the phones up to August 2018 security patches.
We’ve checked Ausdroid’s Moto G5 (XT1676) and it indeed received the Oreo 8.1 update today.
The update file size was 1126.2 MB and it took a little over 20 minutes to install after downloading.
The update promises many enhancements, including new multitasking features, security capabilities, improved notifications and performance.
Motorola points out the following highlights for this update:
- Minimising background activity in the apps you use least.
- Autofill remembers your logins (with permission) to get you into your favorite apps quickly.
- Smart text selection recognises text when you tap or select, then recommends a next logical step via a suggested app.
- Do two things at once with Picture-in-Picture which allows you to see two apps on screen at the same time.
- Notification Dots will help you dive into more apps with fewer taps. Press the notification dots to quickly see what’s new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
- Android Instant Apps allow you to jump directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
- Google Play Protect is peace of mind in the palm of your hand. Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven’t installed yet.
- Enhanced battery life and over 60 new emojis.
Moto G5 users should note that this Oreo 8.1 patch also enables your phone to support dual SIM capabilities on 4G/3G networks, just like the rest of the Moto G5 family. This dual SIM patch by Motorola is extremely delayed, considering the G5 was sold as a dual SIM Phone but the 2nd SIM has been 2G-only (and thus useless in Australia) until now.
Have you received the update on your Moto G5 device? Tell us in the comments!