If you’re on the hunt for a new pre-paid phone through Telstra, their range just increased by two phones with the OPPO AX5 and LG K9 now available on their website.
LG’s budget K-series phones have been fairly stable work horses of the Australian mobile landscape. The K-series has been benefitting from the higher-end G-series phones in the LG range, with the camera tech from their flagships slowly filtering down to the lower end series.
Internally, the LG K9 isn’t a flagship, but at $179 it’s also not going to break the bank. There’s no listing on the LG Australia website for the K9, we’re not sure how much RAM it’s got (my money is on 1GB) and there’s no NFC, but here’s what Telstra lists:
- 5″ HD (1280×720) resolution IPS LCD display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 210(MSM8909) processor
- 8GB onboard storage with microSD card slot up to 128GB
- 8MP rear camera + 5MP front-facing camera
- Bluetooth, WiFi
- 2500mAh Battery
- Android 7.1.2
- 146.3 × 8.2 × 73 mm @ 152grams
With Android 7.1.2 on board and no listing on the LG Australia website (or even on GSMArena) we’re going to say this handset isn’t going to get a lot of love from LG with updates – but as always, we’d love to be proven wrong.
The OPPO AX5 launched in Australia early last month for $379, but on Telstra you’ll find it discounted (and hence network locked) for just $299. It’s also available in the stunning Diamond Blue colour, which matches a stylised back design which has to be seen in the hand.
The phone includes a fairly large 6.2″ HD+ resolution display, which covers most of the surface area on the front offering an impressive 88.8% screen-to-body ratio. Between the HD+ resolution display, Snapdragon 450 processor and exceptionally large 4230mAh battery, you should be going all day with this bad boy.
Full specs for the phone include:
- 6.2″ HD+ 720×1520 resolution display
- Qualcomm SDM450, Octa-Core 1.8GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB onboard storage with microSD card slot up to 256GB
- 13MP (f/2.2)+2MP (f/2.4) rear camera
- 8MP (f/2.2) front-facing camera
- Bluetooth 4.2 and WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- 4230mAh Battery
- Android 8.1/ ColorOS 5.1
- 156.2 x 75.6 x 8.2mm @ 168grams
The OPPO AX5 comes with Android 8.1 on board and runs Oppo’s custom overlay: ColorOS 5.1 on top. We’ve been seeing signs of improvement in ColorOS of late, so it’s definitely worth a look.