Owners of Samsung’s most recent smartwatch (once removed) are in line for a fairly significant software update today. Although the Galaxy Watch is more recent, owners of the Gear S3 have not been forgotten.
The update is around 300MB worth, and for a wearable, that’s pretty significant.
So what’s inside? Here’s the official changelog from Samsung:
- Samsung Health: Support various indoor workouts and back-to-back workout
- Samsung Health Widget: Samsung Health Widget now also supports and provides sleep stages information
- Advanced: Two advanced modes (Theater, Sleep) are added to keep user from disturbance during specific time and place. Modes can be toggled from quick panel
- Quick Panel: Newly added quick settings, easier and faster interaction
- Messages: Draft messages can now be saved. Additionally, showing MMS image on notification cover view and animated images are automatically played. Replying is now quicker and easier. Over 1,000 emojis supported.
- Music: User can change to different music play source on watch instead of using a phone
- Settings menu: Improved categorizing of menus for better discovery of features and items
- Call: User can now navigate to other screen and/or use other features and apps while on a call
Some of the major changes are improved theatre mode (to stop your watch waking up when it shouldn’t), as well as general improvements to animation speed and battery life seems to be better, too.
If you’re using a Samsung Gear S3, jump into the Galaxy Wearable app and check for the update. It does take a while to transfer over to your watch, so my suggestion would be get it started and find something else to do to avoid wrecking the update.