As you may have read today is the tenth anniversary of the release of the HTC Dream into Australia. To celebrate we thought we’d ask you, our readers, what your first Android phone was and what your Android Journey has been since then.

For me the start was the T-mobile G1. I had been watching Android development for a while on XDA Developers, having been a member there since my Dopod D810 Windows phone and decided to pull the trigger and buy a near-new T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) at the start of 2009.

From there I moved to a HTC Magic followed by many others including HTC Sensation, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC HD2 (hacked to run Android of course), Nexus One, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, 5, 6, and 6P. The Pixel phones followed the Nexus phones owning both 1, 2 and now 3. Add in a OnePlus One, 5, 5T, 6 and 6P and you can see my journey has been long and rarely varied from the relatively stock Android flavour.

I’m sure there is a couple of phones in there that I have forgotten about either due to my advancing age or wiping the experience from my memory. For you it might be different? Are you new to the Android world or do you remember the good old days of the Android Market?

Let us know in the comments below about your Android journey. What was your first phone and what do you currently use?

0 0 vote

LG G4
LG G6
LG V30+

Kevin
Kevin
1 year ago

Can’t believe nobody else had the original Samsung Galaxy (I7500). Not a particularly good phone, but I loved it. (think it was the second android released after after the HTC Dream). I think is was also dubbed Samsung’s beta android phone. It also introduced me to custom roms, and despite Samsung not upgrading from the original 1.6 release OS, I managed to get it up to 2.2 without bricking the phone.

Mike
Mike

HTC Incredible S
HTC One
Samsung S6
Samsung S7
Huawei Mate 9
Samsung S9
Huawei P20 Pro

Lukearse
Lukearse
1 year ago

Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Note 1, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3XL.
2 phones died, Nexus 6 my son dropped it and smashed the screen, Nexus 6P bootloop of death!!
If I was to step away from the Nexus/Pixel path I think I would go for a Nokia phone,
the hardware/software reviews are usually excellent.

SteveT
SteveT
1 year ago

I was pretty late to the party. First smartphone was the Nexus 4 which I got in late 2014 for $179. Later got the Nexus 5X and now rocking a Nokia 6.1.

Will never buy bloatware Samsungs or grotesquely expensive iPhones.

Scott
Scott
1 year ago

Ahh, it’s slowly bringing back memories (mostly of mediocre phones, and the realisation that I need to look after my belongings better): Feb 2011 Motorola Defy – I bought this to replace my first and only iPhone (3GS) which was much less waterproof than I expected. I got the Defy because it was waterproof…. and even if it wasn’t it would have been safe from being exposed to water as it was such a truly awful phone that I stopped using it and went back to a Sony Ericsson candy bar phone before too long Oct 2012 HTC ChaCha –… Read more »

Lindsay
Lindsay
1 year ago

Great response to this story, Scott. Eighty six posts so far – some kind of record, perhaps? Obviously people like talking about their Android experiences. What about this as a suggestion; a poll asking readers to list their FAVOURITE phone in the last 10 years, or perhaps of all time? Cheers.

Mick Logan
Mick Logan
1 year ago

HTC Desire HD was my first and was such an utterly terrible phone, and Android at the time was so underwhelming and sub-par compared to iOS that that I went to iPhone and stayed until the Pixel 2 XL came out which I have now.

Berto
Berto
Reply to  Mick Logan

I don’t recall my Desire HD being so bad, I think I had an iPhone 3GS just prior and was much happier with Android. I’ve recently inherited an iPhone 6 as a temporary work phone and I cannot believe how backward it is, so many tasks that are executed simply and quickly on my Note 9 take 3 extra steps to do on an iPhone. Why do sheeple love iPhone so much? It is actually crap.

Lindsay
Lindsay
Reply to  Berto

“Why do sheeple love iPhone so much?”
Coz all their friends have one . . seriously though, surely Samsung is heading for world domination. Move over iPhone.

Berto
Berto
Reply to  Lindsay

Samsung already No 1 in smartphone sales, followed by Huawei. crApple’s products are just more profitable. iPhones have two apps that Google should do an Apple and steal, FaceTime and iMessage. Apart from those apps, nothing worth seeing on an IPhone.

Ryan
Ryan
1 year ago

I’m a relative newcomer having switched from Windows Phone last year. Running a Windows Phone – namely the Microsoft Lumia 640 – in 2018 became too depressing with a multitude of unsupported services, apps and the times leaving the platform behind. So I got a Nokia 6 (2017). I chose it for three reasons: price, brand loyalty and Android One. I preferred an iPhone as I’m in Apple’s ecosystem but it’s just too expensive.

Stephen Woots
Stephen Woots

Galaxy Nexus
LG G3 – loved the button layout on the back , should have caught on with more phones.
Oppo R9 (I think) Plus. So big I couldn’t button the pocket, kept falling out and smashing. It died, so I had to grab the best thing available at the time which was:
Pixel 2 XL

Norkle
Norkle
1 year ago

HTC Desire on the Telstra 3G network! Had an extra lease of life with a custom ROM
Samsung S2
Samsung Note 2
Samsung Note 4 (first to only use manufacturer firmware, son still using)
OnePlus 5T

Mark Stead
Mark Stead

Nexus S
Nexus 5
Nexus 6P
Pixel XL (warranty replacement for the 6P when it died)
Pixel 3 XL

BTW my wife also had a Nexus 4. I had to pull it out a year ago and was able to get Google Pay working on it.

Zesy
Zesy
1 year ago

My first smartphone was Htc touch diamond. My first android was galaxy spica then galaxy s2, lg 4hd, galaxy 551, galaxy note 2, galaxy s4, xperia sp and now redmi 3

Tom
Tom
1 year ago

Google Nexus One. Still working fine and running MIUI (Xiaomi) custom ROM! What an amazing phone!

Sapkota
Sapkota
1 year ago

Started off with Asus Garmin Nuvifone I think that was called, was basically a GPS with phone functionality running on Android at its early stage. Now I’m using Xiaomi MI8 with Pixel Experience.

Paully

2011 Phone – LG P500 Optimus One – Gingerbread 2.2.2
2011 Tablet – Telstra T-Tab Touch – Eclair 2.1
2013 Tablet – Aldi Bauhn WL101GQC – JellyBean 4.1.2
2013 Phone – Huawei Ascend Y320 – JellyBean 4.2.2
2015 Phone – LG G3 – KitKat 4.4.2
2017 Tablet – Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 4G with S Pen – 6.0.1 Marshmallow

All my tablets can be used as ordinary Android phones.

Jeni Skunk
Jeni Skunk
Reply to  Jeni Skunk

Just remembered one phone I missed.
2013 Phone – LG Optus L7 II P713Go – JellyBean 4.1.2 but heavily carrier screwed over and dumped within a month.

Jeni Skunk
Jeni Skunk
Reply to  Jeni Skunk

New device
2019 Phone – Nokia 6.1 (2018) – Pie 9.0 Android One

Gabriel
Gabriel
1 year ago

Came into the game late, but it’s been an interesting mix of brands and type of phone.
Sony xperia play – Not a bad phone but the play part was a complete gimmick.
Nexus 4 – Great phone apart from the camera.
Huawei P9 – the first great Huawei phone?
Pixel 3 – very slick, shame about the sub standard build quality (paint chipping off the USB-C jack on the 3rd day)

Carsten
Carsten
1 year ago

Mine was the HTC desire, then the S2, S3, S4, OnePlus One, S6, S8plus, and currently the Note 9.

Bernard

Pixel XL
Pixel 2 XL
Pixel 3 XL

Les
Les
1 year ago

You used Windows Phone? Ha! That was always destined to fail since the day of its release.

Alex Dennis
1 year ago

I have to say, mine was the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini (which I still have and still works), which I still have. About 6 or so months later, updated to the Samsung Galaxy S2 and loved it, till touchwiz made me get frustrated with it 2 months later :p

Ashish Singh
Ashish Singh

Motorola Droid

Chris Rowland
Ausdroid Director
1 year ago

My first android was the HTC Magic, from Hutchison 3. From there I think I went Nexus One, original Galaxy S .. and it been a blur since then. Basically used them all.

But I loved the Nexus One. I’d love to have a 4G capable one today.

Chris Rowland
Ausdroid Director
Reply to  Scott Plowman

Nope

Jamie S
Jamie S
Reply to  Scott Plowman

Remember that time Geoff F bought an iPhone 5C?

Daniel Pan
Daniel Pan
1 year ago

My first android phone journey (to the best of my memory)
Samsung Galaxy S (used)
HTC Desire HD
Samsung Google Nexus S
Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy S3 4G
LG Nexus 5
LG G3
Motorola Moto G 4G
Motorola Moto X Play
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
HTC 10
LG V30

Justin
1 year ago

I used to have a Asus Garminfone as my first Android phone. Quite okay as a budget phone, plus the Garmin GPS software was included. Unfortunately, didn’t survive a dunk in seawater.

Right now, a Pixel 2 XL.

Wayne
Wayne
1 year ago

HTC Sensation back in 2010 or 2011. I’d had a couple of iPhones before that but was keen to make the shift. Since then I’ve been Nexus 4,5,6,6P (plus a couple of 7 tablets), then Pixel 2XL and now Pixel 3XL.

Always liked messing with ROMs and mods in the early days but haven’t felt the need to flash custom ROMs for a long time now. My 3XL isn’t even rooted.

Liam
Liam
1 year ago

Sony Ericsson Xperia Active <3 Loved that little waterproof brick until the 6th month when it died for seemingly no reason and never started up again… Glad I stuck with Android despite it 😊

JD
JD
1 year ago

I remember wanting a HTC Dream so bad, but it was just so expensive (compared to most phones back then). I ended up jumping on a Vodafone branded HTC Magic (second hand), and was soon followed by my wife. I was on XDA early, getting AOSP to build for my device. Things have changed over the years though… * I spend much more on phones now. * I don’t build my own OS anymore. * I (usually) don’t even root my devices. I went through a very similar path… (From memory) this is my household… HTC Magic (aka Google ION)… Read more »

Hasan Hafizur Rahman
Hasan Hafizur Rahman
1 year ago

Incredible S as well! However I had the very weak wifi problem, wifi range was like 2 metres. Then got LG G2 > Nexus 6P > LG V10 > Honor 6X and now Pixel 2 XL.

Malkm X
Malkm X
1 year ago

Samsung Galaxy S1, 2, 3 & 4. All still working, rooted and running different variants of resurrection remix. S4 is still my daily driver.

Alex Bebendorf
Alex Bebendorf
1 year ago

Motorola Milestone 2 with landscape orientation slide out keyboard, because I couldn’t bring myself to make the jump to on screen keyboard, then Nexus 4 from late 2013 to late 2016 when I got Moto X Play. Carried that through to about October last year (2018) when I switched to my current Moto G6 Plus.
Also a huge fan of near stock android experience after a rough start on the Milestone 2. Motorola keep hitting that sweet spot of style, value and reliable stock performance for me.

Grunger
Grunger
1 year ago

HTC Desire Z with the fold out keyboard. It was a fantastic device and loved the fold out keyboard that worked very well. It’s a pity they don’t make these kind of phones anymore.

Joel Mikkelsen
Joel Mikkelsen
1 year ago

I was a super early advocate of the Android operating system. Back when we first got them, I was operating an Allphones mobile phone Shop, and I sold one of the first HTC Dreams (with the slider keyboard) to a customer. She promptly returned it because it didn’t have video camera, so I ended up with it, as it couldn’t be resold on the network and we absorbed the cost. Best thing that happened to me from a phone perspective. I used that phone, and loved it! Had it for ages actually, and the slide out 5 row keyboard is… Read more »

Joel Mikkelsen
Joel Mikkelsen
1 year ago

I was a super early advocate of the Android operating system. Back when we first got them, I was operating an Allphones mobile phone Shop, and I sold one of the first HTC Dreams (with the slider keyboard) to a customer. She promptly returned it because it didn’t have video camera, so I ended up with it, as it couldn’t be resold on the network and we absorbed the cost. Best thing that happened to me from a phone perspective. I used that phone, and loved it! Had it for ages actually, and the slide out 4 row keyboard is… Read more »

Matt
Matt
1 year ago

Galaxy S2, swapped an iPhone 4 for it, flashed lightning rom to it, down clocked it, could squeeze 2 days put of it. Mostly Google maps was kept me on it then. been Android since.
4 different Sony phones, the acro s (waterproof) was excellent and cheap 2nd hand. Under water photos were excellent and I could keep it in my pocket at wet and wild while swimming.

Slaps
Slaps
1 year ago

HTC desire. I had a iPhone 3gs first and it had terrible reception where I lived, sold it and got the desire. My first and last iPhone 😁

Jayson Cameron
Jayson Cameron
1 year ago

Mine too was the the HTC Incredible S. I remember the first set up, it seemed actually so straightforward. Great first Android.

David Anderton
David Anderton

HTC incredible S

Ash
Ash
1 year ago

My first android phone was the Samsung galaxy s2 now I have a one plus 6.

Max Luong
Max Luong
1 year ago

The Magic was mine. Bricked it real good. Not what the kids these days call “bricked”, proper flashed-the-wrong-bootloader type of brick.

Anton
Anton
1 year ago

My first Android phone was a cheap ZTE smartphone, the ZTE T81 otherwise known as Telstra Frontier 4G. Wasn’t a too bad phone, had close to stock Android. Also one of the earlier 4G phones available on the Telstra network back in 2012 if I remember correctly.

Then, after the screen broke, onto a Google Nexus 5 which I owned for about 3.5 years. Now using a Nokia 7 Plus.

Anton
Anton
Reply to  Scott Plowman

Yes by that time the Google Nexus 5’s battery was well below capacity I think. It was never huge in the first place, only 2300 mAh. The Nokia 7 Plus battery is a huge 3800 mAh so a big difference. I really like Android One, being possibly the first device after Pixels and the Essential Phone to get upgraded to Android 9 Pie was pretty cool. Still waiting on the February security patch but I imagine it will come by the end of the month.

Jack
Jack

HTC HD2, a Windows Mobile phone, but running Cyanogenmod from its SD card

Lindsay
Lindsay
1 year ago

HTC Desire. Bought it, rooted it, loved it.

Lindsay
Lindsay
Reply to  Scott Plowman

Stil have my Nexus 5 as a backup. Was quite fond of that phone.

Lindsay
Lindsay
Reply to  Lindsay

Ah . . stick an extra ‘L’ on that first word up there, wouldja?

Ray
Ray
1 year ago

HTC Desire. Pretty sure I purchased it from JB Hifi on a $30 per month plan with something like 1-2Gb of data.

Mic
Mic
1 year ago

HTC Desire 9 years ago for me. Had a Palm Treo 750 before that, such memories!