D-Link and McAfee have partnered to launch the DIR-2680 D-Fend AC2600 Wi-Fi Router in Australia a year after the product was announced at CES 2018.
The DIR-2680 has a dual focus of making smart homes safer and protecting all the people in a home as well as visiting friends and family from internet threats.
At the launch event last night D-Link ANZ MD Graeme Reardon said:
With a unique set of parental controls, parents can now set profiles for each child to manage the content available to them, as well as have the control to pause Internet access whenever they wish. As a father of young children myself, being able to simply hit pause on my phone to bring an end to their latest video game or their YouTubing to simply get them to the dinner table on time, is fantastic.
At the same time, knowing that our kids, our sensitive data, and our devices are protected by McAfee from malicious attacks, malware, botware and viruses is incredibly valuable.”
McAfee’s CTO of APAC, Ian Yip concurred with Reardon and stated that:
D-Link is a leader in connected home solutions, and the D-Fend AC2600 Wi-Fi Router with McAfee’s Secure Home Platform built-in represents a strategic partnership that will allow us to provide simpler and stronger connected home security for Australians.
Specification highlights include:
- D-Fend Security powered by McAfee: Keep your kids safe online with comprehensive parental controls
- McAfee Secure Home Platform: End-to-end protection that automatically protects every device connected to your network
- Voice control via Alexa – Setup Wi-Fi guest zone and turn your Wi-Fi on and off without having to go into the UI
- Concurrent Dual-Band: Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2,533 Mbps (800Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1733Mbps at 5GHz)
- SmartConnect: Automatically directs your devices to the optimal wireless band ensuring a faster and hassle-free connectivity
- MU-MIMO: Simultaneous streaming on multiple devices to increase speed and efficiency
- Gigabit Ethernet: For fast wired connectivity with one dedicated Gigabit WAN port and 3 Gigabit LAN ports
According to the fine print of the press release, the bundled McAfee Secure Home Platform subscription is valid for 5 years and the bundled Mcafee Livesafe subscription is valid for 2 years.
Ausdroid has a review unit of the DIR-2680 and will be testing it during the next few weeks at an apartment with NBN FTTP 100/40 and a house with NBN HFC 25/5.
Of particular interest is whether one router alone will be able to supply WiFi to all parts of the house test environment through many walls. On first look at the specifications, a tri-band mesh solution with the security features built-in would probably be better in a house, especially if it’s long or multi-level but testing will determine this one way or the other.
The D-link DIR-2680 D-Fend AC2600 Wi-Fi Router is priced at RRP $499.95 and available for purchase from Dlink, JB Hi-Fi, MWave and a variety of other retailers.