Samsung and Optus are keeping their word, bringing the Android 9 Pie update to Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+ and Note 8 customers later this week.
According to the Optus software updates page, the update will be rolling out on 13 March 2019, meaning that users have as little as two days to wait until the update arrives on their devices. Of course, as with most updates, the releases are usually staggered, meaning you might not get an update immediately on day one.
What are some of the new features that come with Android Pie for Galaxy S8 / Note 8 users?
Here’s a quick rundown:
- Get the latest monthly security updates for your handset
- Enhanced security features including Lockdown Mode
- Fixes for common issues
- New ‘Lift to Wake’ function without having to press the power button
- Night Mode
- New Emojis
- Dolby Atmos support
- Floating keyboard
- Adaptive battery and brightness
- Dockless DeX mode
- Changes to Always On Display mode
- Remapping the Bixby Key
- Smaller changes to Samsung apps including Phone, Contacts, Settings, Gallery, Files and Health
As a major OS update, the update file will probably be a reasonable size too, so our advice is to download the update over WiFi wherever possible. Let us know when the update hits your phone and how you’re finding it after installing!