NETGEAR’s new science fiction space ship shaped Nighthawk AX8 router is now available in Australia, enabling early adopters of WiFi 6 802.11ax devices to use the next generation of WiFi right now.
The new Wi-Fi 6 AX standard is based on OFDMA technology which allows better simultaneous data transfer between the router and the devices. This uses the Wi-Fi bandwidth more efficiently, increasing the overall capacity of the home network to handle even more traffic, while remaining backwards compatible with old WiFi devices.
Unlike other new technologies like 8K TV’s which have no real content available now or in the near future, the full capabilities of WiFi 6 routers can be used right now with devices already out on the market such as the new Samsung Galaxy S10 series of phones.
As you can see in the photo below, WiFi 6 compatible devices like the Samsung Galaxy S10 show they’re connected to a WiFi 6 router by displaying the number 6 next to the WiFi symbol.
“Nighthawk AX8 delivers super-fast Wi-Fi with better coverage and, more importantly, has the power and capacity to handle the dozens of devices in the typical congested smart home,” said David Henry, senior vice president of Connected Home Products for NETGEAR.
“As we continue to add more and more Wi-Fi-enabled devices to our homes, it’s critical that each device gets the Wi-Fi bandwidth it needs, so that you can get the quality connected experience you deserve. AX is the multitasking Wi-Fi for the way we live and connect, both for today and in the years to come.”
As seems almost obligatory these days the Nighthawk AX8 can be controlled (somewhat) using voice commands made via Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant.
With the increasing number of devices on a network, the new Nighthawk AX8 router is a potentially good idea for people who plan on buying lots of streaming and smart home Internet of Things (IoT) devices such as IP cameras, smart speakers, and smart appliances, during the next few years.
The Netgear Nighthawk AX8 is available for RRP $599.99 from major online and offline retailers such as Harvey Norman, Bing Lee, MWave, Wireless1.
- 8-Stream Wi-Fi Router – up to 1.2 + 4.8Gbps* wireless speeds.
- Quad-Core 1.8GHz Processor – processing power to provide the performance across all wired and wireless interfaces. An additional quad core co-processor handles all Multi-Gig LAN-WAN traffic to ensure main processor is available for additional applications.
- 2Gbps Wired Connectivity for Faster Internet—Aggregate two (2) Ethernet ports for more than one Gigabit Internet speed.
- 160MHz Channel Support– Gigabit Wi-Fi connection with today’s and future mobile devices that support 160MHz bandwidth.
- 6 x Gigabit Ports — Connect more wired devices for faster file transfer and uninterrupted connections.
- Works with Existing Wi-Fi Devices— Supports all current Wi-Fi devices and is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac client devices.
- Pre-optimized Hidden Antennas—The AX8 antennas come pre-optimised for best Wi-Fi performance hidden in the innovative ‘wing’ design.