It’s been available for several months in the USA but now we have news that the tiny Palm Android phone will be sold in Australia by Christmas 2019.
Australian pricing is unclear but it’s likely the Palm phone will be sold outright retail and online.
In the USA it’s being sold for $349 so we guess the Australian price will likely be $500-$550. Marketing there is targeting the phone as a companion gadget for people who have a bigger phone but don’t want to carry that while exercising, socialising etc.
We were able to handle the Palm phone for a few minutes at a TCL event today where it’s size caught everyone’s attention. Here’s an example of the Palm next to a strawberry to emphasise the phone’s tiny size.
Here it is also with the Palm facing off against the giant Samsung S10 5G. It’s easy to get used to the large phone sizes common these days. Go back in time and phones were much smaller.
Specifications for the Palm phone are as follows:
- Processor: Qualcomm® 435 processor. Octa-core CPU
- Display: 3.3” HD Display – 445 ppi high pixel density LCD
- Glass: Impact resistant front and rear Corning Gorilla Glass
- Cameras: 12MP rear camera with flash + 8MP front camera
- Construction: Crafted billet aluminium mid-frame
- Durability: IP68 water and dust resistant
- Memory: 3 GB RAM / 32 GB Storage
- Audio: Dual speaker
- Sensors: G-Sensor, Glonass GPS, Proximity, E-compass, Gyro
- OS: Android 8.1
- Security: Face unlock
- Dimensions: 50.6 X 96.6 X 7.4mm
- Weight: 62.5 grams
- Colours: Available in titanium and gold
If this is something that interests you what price would you pay for it? Does it fit the bill as a clone phone for those special occasions you do not wish to carry the large phone?
[Editors note]Personally I can see a use for the phone — especially for those times when your wife/girlfriend/significant other complains that her phone won’t fit in their handbag for a night on the town. I know two ladies in my life who sometimes want a smaller phone.