With the Tokyo Olympic Games just only 5 months or so away, SEGA has officially launched its Sonic and the Olympics – Tokyo 2020 game onto the Google Play store, with pre-registration now open with the game expected to be available for download from May 7th.
The mobile game, first announced last June, is similar to in style to the Mario & Sonic series, and bring with it 15 separate Olympic Games events along with a full line up of Sonic characters for you to choose and play along with.
Based on the trailer above, it would seem that the game centers around Doctor Eggman who is up to his old tricks again, with Sonic challenging Ivo for the right to remain in Tokyo City. Because of this, Sonic and friends will compete in 15 separate Olympic-themed events against the Doctor and his goons.
Features of Sonic at the Olympic Games – Tokyo 2020 include:
- Compete in Olympic events – everyone can enjoy!
- Tap and flick your way to victory!
- Tons of events to choose from, including the newest additions to Tokyo 2020!
- Choose between Olympic events or special “”Extra (EX)”” Events with new and exciting gameplay; Gotta go fast! Gotta go for Gold!
- Challenge yourself and the world!
- Challenge friends and players around the world! Prove you have got what it takes – can you reach the top of the leaderboard and claim the gold medal?
- 15 Olympic Games events to enjoy!
100m, 400m Hurdles, Javelin Throw, Archery, Karate, Diving, Shooting, Sport Climbing, Fencing, Trampoline, Hammer Throw, Table Tennis, Long Jump, BMX and Badminton.
The game will offer simple tap controls global leaderboard, and a plethora of events to explore, such as Tennis, Fencing, Archery and for those who are Olympic fanatics, Karate and Climbing are also included in the game given they will be debuting at this years 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
Sonic at the Olympics – Tokyo 2020 will be a free-to-play game, however there will be in-app purchases, which we don’t know too much about just yet. What we do know is that the game will arrive on Google Play and the iOS App Store from May 7th, with pre-registration now open and there are some bonuses for signing up early:
- 100,000 pre-registrations will unlock the “Ocean View” music track from Team Sonic Racing
- 300,000 pre-registrations will unlock Training Points that can be used to unlock events and special skills
- 500,000 pre-registrations will unlock the badge featuring Miraitowa, the Tokyo 2020 mascot
- If the number of pre-registrations passes 500K, additional rewards will be offered – stay tuned!
if you’re an Olympic fanatic or a Sonic fan and want to pre-register and to take part in the pre-registration rewards, then it might be worth downloading the game via the link below.