Android Auto has been around for a while and of recent, undergone some significant transformation. We’ve seen the new interface added in July last year. We’ve also seen limited availability of Wireless Android Auto in November. It now seems that the official availability of wireless Android Auto has expanded further.

The new regions and countries where wireless Android Auto will now be officially supported are:

• Australia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

This does not mean that all phones will be compatible and it does not mean that all head units will be compatible. There is still a limitation on which phones are officially supported and having used and tested quite a few phones on a wireless Android Auto head unit the experience differs from one to another. For your knowledge, at this stage Pixels and Samsung Galaxy phones work best (and they are about all that are officially supported anyway).

Phone Make and Model Android Version
Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL Android 8.0 or higher
Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL Android 10.0 or higher
Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+ Android 9.0 or higher
Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ Android 9.0 or higher
Samsung Galaxy S10 or S10+ Android 9.0 or higher
Samsung Note 8, Note 9 and Note 10 Android 9.0 or higher
Other Samsung models Android 10.0 or higher

At this stage there are very few Android Auto head units on the market in Australia that support wireless Android Auto. We do know that Kenwood have a model or two that support it and we know that Kenwood are looking to introduce some more advanced ones into our market this year.

The problem of course is that many car manufacturers make it difficult to install after market head units these days. The best bet for these is for the manufacturers to support it with their hardware — but given how resistant so many in Australia were to Android Auto I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for that.

The continued development of Android Auto, its connectivity and functionality is significant. It’s come a long way and will continue to progress, whether the wireless connectivity is a big winner or not remains to be seen.

Alex
Alex
7 months ago

Been using wireless AA on a Toyota 86 with an aftermarket Kenwood DDX919WS connecting a OnePlus 6T for the last 6 months. There’s an option to enable wireless AA under developer settings in the app. Is this update for official support?

Jacky
Jacky
7 months ago

I got Renault koleos 2019 model in Malaysia can I use that in my car?

Jacky
Jacky
7 months ago

Can I use it at Malaysia?

Ralf Wischnat
Ralf Wischnat

Hi I have a 2019 F56 Mini Cooper S hoping Android Auto soon

John Phillips
John Phillips
7 months ago

Getting Toyota C-HR with Android Auto (late April from Japan) hopefully will support wireless connection, but not holding my breath.

Callum smith
Callum smith
Reply to  John Phillips
7 months ago

You have to use your usb cable to use Android auto

Brett Hayton
Brett Hayton
7 months ago

Can you buy a USBC wifi dongle to connect to the head unit

Pini
Pini
7 months ago

Any idea when Israel will connect wireless to Android Auto?

John Eller
John Eller
7 months ago

I have a Samsung S9 with Android 10. I have just paid to have installed a recently released Kenwood Head in my Landcruiser. Wireless mirroring is a myth. I understand wireless mirroring to mean I do not have to connect my phone via USB to get wireless mirroring. My understanding of “wireless’ is that there are no wires, similar to how my Chromecast works. So, with this in mind I have considering sending off a complaint to the ACCC to advise them that ‘wireless mirroring’ is not Wireless. “False and misleading” come to mind. It was the presumption of ‘wireless’… Read more »

DBAREIS
DBAREIS
7 months ago

Hopefully my 2019 Ford will get it, then my OnePlus 8 will go on a wireless charger.

Was Australia resistant to AA? Any link?

Ivan
Ivan
Reply to  DBAREIS
7 months ago

They are referring to the Australian car manufacturers being resistant.

JeniSkunk
JeniSkunk
Reply to  Ivan
7 months ago

Minor correction, Ivan. Since 2018, it’s ‘car importers’, or ‘former car manufacturers’.

AdamM
AdamM
7 months ago

Our 2015 CRV has a factory GPS navigation system installed. It works reasonably well, but we were quoted $500(!) to update the maps. And that applies every time, not just a one off. It makes no sense to do so, is be better off installing an aftermarket head unit.

Milo
Milo
Reply to  AdamM
7 months ago

Aftermarket head units seem to reduce your sell price when you eventually want to sell the car unless it looks stock. I only use the factory GPS to assist with speed limits. Now, Android Auto does that as well.

DENNIS BAREIS