Vodafone Hutchison Australia (which we all know as Vodafone) has introduced a new temporary $10 per month “Stay Connected” cap plan to help customers experiencing financial difficulties due to COVID-19 stay connected with family, friends and work colleagues.
From 20 April – so, in a couple of weeks – customers will be able to apply via the Vodafone website for access to the new Stay Connected plan. It includes 3GB of data, and unlimited standard calls and SMS for use in Australia. This plan will offer great value, but it’s for a limited time only – the plan will be available for a 3 month period only.
Vodafone CEO Inaki Berroeta acknowledged that this time was difficult for many, and noted that for many people, their support networks relied on the ability to stay in touch with family and friends over the phone. He said:
We recognise this is a very stressful time for many of our customers who have lost employment or income as a result of COVID-19, and we are a key part of their support network.
This plan will allow customers to stay connected to the people important to them and the services they need, without worrying about their phone bill.
The announcement follows a range of other initiatives from Vodafone, including:
- Two months account credit for registered health practitioners
- Bonus data for prepaid customers and postpaid customers
- Data-free access to key federal and state government websites, including Centrelink, MyGov and Services Australia
- No late payment fees to be charged from 26 March until (at least) 30 April
There are a couple of things to note about the Stay Connected plan, besides its $10 per month charge:
- Unlimited standard national voice calls and SMS
- 3GB mobile data for use in Australia only
- Available to existing customers only on voice plans and Business customers on Red or Red Plus plans
- It’s a month-to-month SIM only plan – no bells and whistles
- Proof of financial difficulty required – for example, a grant letter from Centrelink or a letter from your employer confirming you’ve been stood down or let go
- Any handset/tablet installments remain payable
- Customers will return to their normal plan after 3 months
Applications for the Stay Connected plan will be available on the Vodafone Website later this month.