With so many of us having trouble finding ways to exercise now that gyms are closed Fitbit are doing their best to help out — and hopefully entice you to stick it out after the pandemic is over. As part of their response they have already made their premium app option free for 90 days and now they are going a step further.
Launching today via their website they are introducing a new COVID-19 tab within their app to help users access tools to help them stay active and healthy from home. Include is also the ability to connect with a doctor virtually and stay up-to-date with all of the latest information from the WHO so we stay informed by a reputable source (not Debbie from Facebook).
The new tab appears on the right hand side of the tabs at the bottom of the app with a big red and white cross icon — something to really make it stand out. The connect virtually with a doctor is only for users in the US and uses the PlushCare network — unfortunately there is no Australian equivalent within the app (apparently “Without insurance, a visit costs [US]$99 + monthly membership fee.” — ouch, aren’t you glad you live in Australia with our healthcare system?).
Users outside the US can access real-time information from organisations such as WHO along with several other tools to help you stay fit and healthy while in isolation:
- A 90-day free trial of Premium, plus, we’ve made 40+ Premium at-home workouts, meditations, sleep tracks, and more available for everyone to use, free of charge. Unlock it all in the Fitbit app**
- New clock faces, like the Clean Cues clock face, for Fitbit smartwatches that offer a friendly reminder and timer for washing your hands
- Motivational reminders to take breaths, stretch, and move, with Reminders to Move
- Advanced sleep tools and guided programs
- Mindfulness content, through our Relax guided breathing exercises or sessions via Premium
- Nutrition tips and healthy habits
- Ways to connect with others to stay motivated as a part of our global Fitbit community
Fitbit will also continue to provide insights into COVID-19 and its impact on the community through their “research of aggregated, anonymised Fitbit data”.
The new COVID-19 tab is available now in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Norway, United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia as long as the language is set to English. More countries and languages will be added “soon”.
Although we are yet to see it in our app keep an eye on it appearing in yours soon.