Say goodbye to the G and V series as well as Thinq in the model name as LG Australia has announced it’s new top of the line smartphone model is the upper mid range LG VELVET smartphone.
Designed with style top-of-mind, the LG Velvet includes a ‘raindrop’ triple camera instead of a rectangular camera bump.
LG Velvet also features the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G 5G Mobile Platform. Produced using a 7 nanometer process, the Snapdragon 765G includes an integrated X52 5G Modem-RF System which takes up less space and helped LG create the Velvet’s slim profile.
I used to own a LG G4 (until bootloop death) and a family member uses the G7. In comparison the Velvet is definitely the best looking LG phone I’ve seen.
LG is hoping the Velvet will be popular with content creators on TikTok, Instagram etc. To help these artists, the Velvet included “LG Creators Kit” software and hardware functionality.
For creators whether it’s shooting photography or filming videos, quality is important and the Voice Bokeh feature is supposed to enable clear outdoor voice recordings even in the presence of loud ambient noise.
In addition Velvet owners will be able to vividly capture even soft sounds like campfires crackling with ASMR Recording and two built-in high-sensitivity microphones. When playing back the sounds the Velvet has stereo speakers to improve the listening experience.
LG says their 4K time lapse also has been improved with a new Timelapse Control that can automatically adjust recording speed consistent with the subject’s movements, allowing users the freedom to adjust the recording speed themselves.
Speaking to media at the virtual launch event Mr Dan Lim, Managing Director, LG Electronics Australia said:
“We wanted to launch a 5G smartphone that grabs attention and truly stands out in the Australian market. With LG incorporating a design that fits perfectly and feels great in the hand, we can appeal to consumers who are looking for something a little different yet has all the features Aussies know and love”.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon SM7250
- Display: 6.8-inch 20.5:9 FHD+ OLED Cinematic FullVision (2,460 x 1,080 / 395ppi)
– Rear: 48MP Standard pixel binned to 12MP (F1.8 / 0.8μm / 79˚) / 8MP Wide (F2.2 / 1.12μm / 120˚) / 5MP Depth (F2.4 / 1. 12μm / 81˚)
– Front: 16MP Standard (F1.9 / 1.0μm / 73˚)
– Battery: 4,300mAh
- Memory: 6GB RAM / 128GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Operating System: Android Q
- 4K Timelapse functionality
- Size: 167.2 x 74.1 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 180g
- Network: 5G / 4G / 3G / 2G
- Connectivity: Qualcomm Snapdragon X52 5G Modem-RF-System, Qualcomm FastConnect 6200, Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.1 / NFC / USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Compatible), 3.5mm jack (standard DAC not Quad)
- Biometrics: In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
- Others: Stereo Speaker / AI CAM / Google Lens / Google Assistant / LG 3D Sound Engine / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ Technology
In Australia the LG Velvet will be single SIM whether purchased retail or via a carrier and while the screen supports a Stylus it isn’t sold with one.
Carrier partners will be announced soon, there aren’t many options for a 5G phone so it’s either Optus or Telstra.
In Australia the Velvet will be available in Aurora White and Aurora Grey within a few weeks for RRP $899 directly from JB Hifi, The Good Guys and other online retailers.