Arlo Technologies has launched their new Essential XL Spotlight Camera in Australia with a promise of extended-life battery that works for up to 1 year on one charge.
There’s an integrated spotlight with colour night vision, 1080p HD video, two-way audio, motion detection alerts and a built-in siren in the usual Arlo compact, screw to wall install, wire-free design.
The purchase of an Arlo Essential XL Spotlight includes a 3 month trial to Arlo’s AI subscription service, Arlo Smart. Users will receive access to 30-days of rolling 1080p video recordings to store and view video clips.
Notification settings can be adjusted, enabling Arlo Smart subscribers to fully customise their experience to spot people, vehicles, animals or packages. Controlled entirely through the Arlo app, users can easily view live streams and recordings, adjust their camera settings or access cloud recordings.
If you choose not to pay for a subscription after that, the camera will continue to work and you’ll get the following features from it:
- Remote and local live streaming
- Push notifications
- Auto Zoom and Tracking
- Two-way audio
- Local storage recording*
You have two choices for storage:
- The Arlo Smart plan which allows you to store in the cloud for 30 days, after your free period the smart plans start at $4.49.
- Connecting the camera to an Arlo Smart Hub, which can be bought separately.
If the camera is connected to Wi-Fi you will be able to watch the livestream but not store footage so it’s only worth buying if you know you’re going to pay for the subscription ongoing.
A direct to a WiFi connection enables the Arlo Essential XL Spotlight to function as a stand-alone home security solution without the need for a separate SmartHub or Base Station. Users with an existing Arlo security system can however, link their Arlo Essential XL Spotlight to a compatible Arlo SmartHub (VMB4540, VMB5000) or Base Station (VMB4000, VMB4500) to enable local storage recording and enhance camera range and battery.
1-year extended battery
Arlo is touting a 1-year extended battery life – a pretty strong claim, so I read the fine print:
“Based on usage of 4000 seconds per month, 30 seconds per stream, and day/night event splits 2:1. Will vary with device settings, use, activity captured and environmental factors”.
That means the battery will go flat after about 48,000 seconds are recorded, if the device gets activated 1,600 times for 30 seconds each time or about 4.38 activations per day.
How realistic this is depends on the number of people in your home, how often they enter/leave, how many people visit your front door eg: neighbours or couriers and if you use the spotlight a lot.
Features of the Arlo Essential XL Spotlight Camera include:
- Extended Battery Life: Up to one year of battery life on one charge
- Integrated Spotlight: motion activated or manually turned on
- 2-Way Audio: Hear and speak to visitors clearly
- Built-in Siren: can be triggered automatically or manually from the app
- Colour Night Vision: See colour even at night using integrated spotlight
- Full High Definition Camera: full high definition video in 1080p
- Weather-Resistant: Designed to withstand heat, cold, rain or sun and can be used indoors or outdoors
- Motion Detection and Alerts: Alerts sent directly to your phone when motion is detected
- 130° Viewing Angle: Keep an eye on more of what matters with a wider field-of-view
- Platform Compatibility: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT for easy interaction, automation and control
Available at a RRP of $AU $279 for 1 camera, the Essential XL Spotlight Camera is rolling out at leading electrical retailers nationally from the start of November, 2020.