Google has bet hard on RCS, the next-generation of SMS and MMS that incorporates modern online chat features into the GSMA developed standard. Internationally Google was hoping that international carriers would support the technology, but due to poor adoption by carriers Google is now rolling out RCS servers across the globe.

Google has been moving from region to region rolling out their own RCS service using their Jibe platform to play the role of the carrier integration. It’s similar to how Apple handles iMessage except it’s interoperable and based on an open standard, meaning you’re not technically locked into it.

We have confirmed today that RCS is indeed working for some Australians not on Telstra networks. It looks like this is a server-side switch, so even if you have the latest update you may not be seeing the enrolment message yet. For us, we only had to open Google Messages to get a notification to use Google’s RCS.

One activated you are able to send and receive Chat messages using either cellular or data connections. From a technology standpoint, RCS is can be as powerful as any modern chat app, it supports most of the features we have come to expect. The one thing it is missing is multi-device support although Google’s implementation can be used on the web as long as your device has a network connection.

What it does provide is an open, interoperable standard. If someone anywhere in the world has a mobile number, has access to RCS and is using an RCS-capable messaging client you can chat with them. It’s still a little clunky but it’s a lot better than a closed ecosystem controlled by one party like iMessage or WhatsApp.

If you’re in Australia and want to try it out, just install Google Messages on your Android device and wait for the service to be live for you. Sorry Apple users, once again your device maker has decided you don’t get access to an open standard.

Messages
Messages
Developer: Google LLC
Price: Free
kodie
kodie

home

Jamie
Jamie
1 month ago

when i tried to open a message today it was hidden behind some agreement opt in thing which i immediately rejected. as if i need Google handling my chat communications, don’t give them anymore of your personal information.

Rajiv Kanabar
Rajiv Kanabar
1 month ago

I had RCS working on Boost (Telstra) since quite some time in Australia with google messages app.

Yesterday I got promoted again to enable it ..(this time from Google servers directly) but it was showing in progress .. I has to clear my google messages app data and cache from “Apps” in settings .. it allowed me to get connected again hoping through google servers now ? How can we confirm that ?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Reply to  Rajiv Kanabar
24 days ago

Boost’s tech support have just told me that Telstra has disabled this feature for the s20+ 5g if that was the phone you have.

Vman
Vman
1 month ago

I really need it to work on my tablet as well as currently I’m using pulse for this reason although it is tempting. I wish I could have a simultaneous Sim for my galaxy tablet. It would make life easier for me.

Coby
Coby
1 month ago

Running dual sim (Optus & Voda) on a Pixel 4XL with G suite account (if that makes any difference). No RCS yet.

Unsuccessfully tried clearing Carrier Services cache and restarting.

Rod
Rod
Reply to  Coby
1 month ago

Have you tried to add your phone number, then start the connection process? In Google messages, go to settings > advanced > phone number to add it. The cache clearing didn’t work for me, but adding my number did.

Tom Sekulic
Tom Sekulic
1 month ago

Got a prompt this morning in Google messaging app even though I was using RCS before that. Works as expected also on a Samsung Xperia phone. Both phones on Boost network (Telstra).

Moth9
Moth9
1 month ago

I received message early this morning on Note8 on Telstra with Google Messages. Works fine as long as others in Chat have also enabled .

Muhammed Arisoy
Muhammed Arisoy
1 month ago

Can confirm it’s working on my Pixel 4XL on Vodafone though the jibe service. Also tested with my wife’s S9+, my mum’s Note 9 and my dad’s S10+. All using Google Messages as the default and working brilliantly.

Wayne
Wayne
1 month ago

Works for me and my wife on Vodafone.

Greg Lamb
Greg Lamb
1 month ago

So is this supposed to work like imessage across devices? I have a Tab S7+ that i send and receive message through my z flip

J Cychowski
J Cychowski
1 month ago

Working on Surface Duo, and Pixel 3a with Optus as of today, chat messages are fully functional, not sure if sending to other network providers, Telstra though as they have a customised RCS

Daz
Daz

just had it pop up on my Pixel 5 on Vodafone, all working fine

Rod
Rod
1 month ago

Well that explains why Telstra RCS stopped working. Welcome Google, and Jibe!

J cychowski
J cychowski
1 month ago

Can confirm they both the smartphones, in my household, my Surface Duo, and my partner’s Pixel 3a, is connected with RCS messaging now 👌, we are both on Optus, the chat messages work between our devices, however, friends and family you I know have chat features enabled with Telstra, I cannot send them a chat message, it goes through as a normal SMS l

Alvin
Alvin
1 month ago

I installed messages last week and got the RCS feature today on my note 8.

Also how do I know if others have RCS feature. Like on apple it will tell you ‘iMessage’ if other users has it. What about on the google messages?

Btw, I’m using Kogan sim (Vodafone Network)

Last edited 1 month ago by Alvin
Rob A
Rob A
1 month ago

I confirm RCS is now working on my unlocked Galaxy S10 with Kogan (Vodafone).

I checked after reading this article and received an invitation to join, which I promptly did.
Thanks for letting us know Duncan.

Last edited 1 month ago by Rob A
Jeremy
Jeremy
1 month ago

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ purchased from Samsung AU directly and on the Telstra network. I have RCS working through the Samsung Messaging app and contacts appear with a blue dot in Samsung Contacts who have RCS enabled. I also installed Google Messenger at one stage (not currently installed) with RCS enabled but the number of contacts with RCS enabled didn’t increase. What I would like to confirm did Samsung integrate with Googles RCS servers to allow this function in their app as well or because I’m with Telstra it has allowed the RCS function to be enabled in… Read more »

Jeremy
Jeremy
Reply to  Jeremy
1 month ago

Update: Installed Google Messenger. Those who were showing as RCS enabled in Samsung Messenger don’t appear as RCS enabled in Google Messenger. When I go to send a message in Google Messenger, I can only send a text message to those that were showing as RCS enabled in Samsung Messenger. Possibly due to Google switching over to there server (Jibe). I think there was another comment somewhere on a different site about Google not supporting Telstra’s RCS server

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Jeremy
1 month ago

You’ve most likely got the Samsung thing as the default for SMS still. that’s why you cannot send SMS messages through Google Messenger.

Dolgogi
Dolgogi
1 month ago

Working on Note20 Ultra with Optus.

Shame RCS isn’t working with the Samsung msg app though.
None of my friends or family are willing to install the Google messages app to get rcs.

Greg Lamb
Greg Lamb
Reply to  Dolgogi
1 month ago

I saw an article the other day about Setting up RCS with Samsung messages. If i find it ill post but have a search

LHD
LHD
1 month ago

Can confirm. Had a prompt on an Optus work phone. Nothing on personal Vodafone as yet.

Will
Will
1 month ago

Woot no more crappy Telstra implementation! Finally connected to the Jibe network on my 4XL

steve
steve
1 month ago

Working on Unlocked Galaxy s10+ and with Optus.. Now to convince everybody i know to download Google Messages instead.

Walter J Olleroch
Walter J Olleroch

Not working on Pixel 5 G as yet

Adam
Adam
1 month ago

Got this on my Optus Pixel 3 last night about 10pm, wasn’t even sure if it meant RCS, but I guess so! Have been testing it out with a friend in Canada all morning, is sweet! Wasn’t expecting emoji reacts, but even they are there

Pete
Pete
1 month ago

I wonder why Australian RCS doesn’t get the “Resend messages if undelivered” option like other countries do.

If there is a client failure to send an RCS message, in Australia it just sits there ‘sending…’ where as with the “Resend messages if undelivered” options you can set it to fall back to SMS after a short period of time.

Reg
Reg
Reply to  Pete
1 month ago

I have the option “Resend messages if undelivered”
Using the beta version of messages and on Telstra network

Pete
Pete
Reply to  Reg
1 month ago

Thanks, yeah the option eventually arrived for me too 👍

Shane
Shane
1 month ago

Only issue is RCS is not encrypted end to end (at least not yet), unlike iMessage.

I think it’s a great step in the right direction but it needs E2E encryption ASAP. Here’s hoping the recent test builds for Google Messages get to release soon.

JP
JP
Reply to  Shane
1 month ago

Google’s RCS implementation is end to end encrypted.

TLS is used to encrypt all messages and content.

Reg
Reg
1 month ago

For Telstra users, clear the data for the carrier services app and reboot.
Messages will ask you to setup your number again and you’ll be back in action

Huy
Huy
Reply to  Reg
1 month ago

Tried and didn’t work. Pixel 3.

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Reg

This seems to have worked for me, with Pixel 3XL on Telstra

Huy
Huy
Reply to  Darren
1 month ago

Ok I fixed it. Must have wifi off. Thanks Reg!

Michael
Michael
Reply to  Reg
1 month ago

This worked for me just to get my Samsung app RCS working again with Telstra! Been going on with support on this for 3 days! Thank you!
(Now to go back to Google Messages 😉)

Michael
Michael
Reply to  Michael
1 month ago

Update, my Samsung RCS over Telstra now works again, but sadly the Google messages app doesn’t, says I’m connected but other users sending me pics come through as Telstra links. Oh dear.

Michael
Michael
1 month ago

Been battling Telstra to get RCS working on my S20FE this week (worked fine on my S10). Yesterday a level 2 support engineer told me as of October 15th Google were ceasing support for RCS and Telstra were to not assist with Google messages.

My case is still open as I can’t get Samsung message app working with rcs and people using it can’t send me messages at all.

This whole thing is a joke.

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Michael
1 month ago

I Think you need Google messaging app for it to work.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Reply to  Dave
1 month ago

I can confirm you need to install Google Messenger as it works off their Jibe server. Telstra have their own server so using the stock Samsung Messenger will only allow RCS chat to others on Telstra’s server. I’m hoping that this pushes Telstra to using universal RCS. I liked Samsung Messenger and I see its going to get some good updates with One UI 3.0 & Android 11

Jeremy
Jeremy
Reply to  Michael

Andrew
Andrew
1 month ago

Has anyone on Aldimobile got it yet?

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Andrew
1 month ago

Yes! Finally. RCS on ALDI mobile. I’m connected.

niknaks
niknaks
1 month ago

talk about timing given antitrust case just lodged

Kunal Gandhi
Kunal Gandhi
1 month ago

Just opened messages after reading this post and the update was waiting on my oneplus5t

Mathew
Mathew
1 month ago

Nokia 8.1 received the prompt to enable RCS last night.
Nokia 7.2 didn’t. I’m wondering if having two SIMs active is an issue.

Huy
Huy
1 month ago

Had it before on Telstra but seems to have gone now. Just says chat features unavailable. Giving up on this and going to WhatsApp.

Huy
Huy
Reply to  Huy
1 month ago

Fixed by clearing cache for carrier services, rebooting then turning off wifi and trying to setup again. Weird. It was already connected ages ago.

sujayv_au
sujayv_au
1 month ago

Nothing on my S20 FE on Optus … yet!!

Dave
Dave
Reply to  sujayv_au
1 month ago

I had to reboot my S20+ before it worked.

Steelo
Steelo
1 month ago

Just had the prompt to enable RCS pop up when I opened my messages app (not just when i opened a text which came in though) on my Oppo Find X2 Pro on Optus network in Sydney.

marcus
marcus

nothing for me on Optus

Milo
Milo
1 month ago

Looks like my oneplus 6 does not get this feature.

Kai
Kai
Reply to  Milo

It’s working on my OnePlus 6 on Belong

Nathan
Nathan

Nothing yet on my Pixel 4XL

Michael W
Michael W
1 month ago

Just got the update this morning on my Pixel 5.

Brad
Brad
1 month ago

Got it first thing this morning. Pixel 3a on messages beta. Wife got it on the same model without being on the beta.