If you’re looking for a new way to use your existing setups to broaden your entertainment options, then Plex may have just delivered it. In a recent blog post the company announced that Plex Arcade is here.
It’s a fascinating sidestep for Plex to take given their primary market is media streaming. But it’s also not that big of a leap provided you’ve got the gear you need at home already.
The key points you need to know are:
- Plex Arcade requires a Windows or macOS Plex Media Server (no Linux for now)
- Platform support for playing includes Android (mobile and TV), iOS, tvOS, and Chrome
- Plex Arcade requires a subscription – $4.99/month for non-Plex Pass subscribers, and $2.99/month for Plex Pass holders
- You can try it free for seven days: https://www.plex.tv/arcade/
- Game controllers work great! You can use any Bluetooth or USB game controller that is compatible with your device
While there’s plenty of games to enjoy here, the retro game market isn’t necessarily at a point where it’s ready for an option like this. Many die-hard retro enthusiasts have already gone down the pathway of building themselves a RetroPie machine making the market and potentially the lifespan of a project like this minimal. Still, I’ll be giving it a crack, will you?