YouTube has been around for about 17 years now and the team is currently working to modernise its look. The changes, outlined in a blog post, are a reaction to feedback from users around the globe.
The looks are changing to make navigation and viewing easier starting with Ambient mode:
Using dynamic color sampling, ambient mode introduces a subtle effect so the app background color adapts to match the video. We were inspired by the light that screens cast out in a darkened room and wanted to recreate the effect so viewers were drawn right into the content and the video takes an even greater focus on our watch page.
This flows onto an updated dark theme, which, in essence, is even darker than before; with the intent to make the content you’re watching really pop!
Other changes include:
- Links to other videos in the description become buttons
- Pinch to zoom on videos allowing you to zoom in on fine detail
- Interaction buttons changing to minimise their intrusion on the interface
- A more prominent subscribe button
- Precise Seeking allows you to scrub through a video and find — through the preview pane — exactly what you’re looking for
The changes aren’t yet available on our accounts, but they’re apparently not far away.