In our inbox this afternoon was the following news – Telstra Motorola XOOM customers will be able to do even more with their tablets when Telstra sends through the updates to the new Android™ Honeycomb 3.1 software. The update should be available to Telstra XOOM customers in July.
Here are some of the improvements and new features customers can expect from the new software:
- Full support for the final release of Adobe Flash Player 10.3, delivering significant performance enhancements when viewing rich Flash content on the web.
- Resizable widgets to enable further customisation of home screens.
- The MicroSD card reader activation enabling customers to play apps and media from MicroSD cards.
- Support for USB-connected peripherals and accessories, such as keyboards, mice, game controllers and digital cameras.
- Expanded Bluetooth features to support Bluetooth headsets in Google Talk™ video chats and Bluetooth mouse support in addition to additional shortcut keys with the Bluetooth keyboard
- Picture Transfer Protocol Feature support to enable easier transfer of photo files to your PC without the need for drivers.
- A file manager app allowing you to easily navigate through your storage.
Telstra is running the update through test at the moment, so the update is likely only a few weeks away at most.
Source: Telstra Exchange Blog.
Any word on when Optus will release 3.1???
Unless this is different to the 3.1 that came to US xooms this will not have MicroSD activated. Source: My own imported US Xoom
This might not be the same 3.1 release that the USA got, it could be a 3.1 release, but a updated ‘Xoom’ release that has SD support enabled.
Rember the Transformer has had SD support from 3.0, so its not really a software issue.
@nick: assuming the zoom you have has telstra firmware, yes!
So if you buy the xoom from jb hifi and you buy a prepaid sim from Telstra, will you still get this update? Sorry for noob question, I’ve never owned a tablet :/
Mines a US Verizon and it updated over wifi. So yes. Doing this you will still get the update 🙂
I doubt Telstra will provide sd support before the USA Xoom gets it…
Awesome, bring on next month!